Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Turning to the audience

There's been a rash of shootings over the past several weeks, the most recent being at Northern Illinois University (story and video here), where five people were killed.

CNN.com did something interesting. They asked college students whether they thought their campuses were safe, and posted the responses.

It got me thinking about our own campus. I'm most definitely being naive in thinking that something like the NIU shooting won't happen here, but the truth is that it could happen anywhere. The CNN story really shook me. Instead of having a talking head on TV describing the incident, a group of my peers wrote in about not having doors that lock from the inside, and how effective the campus police are.

This is not to say that the story made me paranoid. It hasn't. But it's made me examine the Northeastern campus much more closely. The fact of the matter is, it happened at Virginia Tech. It happened at Northern Illinois. It could happen here.

1 comment:

Michael Leggett said...

Erica?

As Always, Keep up The Good Newsing:

Michael