Monday, January 21, 2008

Using social networking as a source

MediaShift had a really interesting article a few days ago about using social networking sites, such as Facebook and MySpace, as a means to either get to sources, or to dig up more information. Like many people my age, I am on Facebook, but I've never really thought of it as a viable resource, especially for serious stories. I can understand how it would be enticing, especially to younger reporters. A lot of people have unlisted telephone numbers, but there's a good chance you can find someone on one of these sites.

Jennifer Woodward Maderazo discusses some of the pitfalls of using these sites as a search tool. For example: you're a reporter, and you're writing a profile on a certain individual. You want to dig up some more dirt on this person, so you look up their Facebook profile. Is it a good idea to use what's in their profile in your story? What if it's a fake profile? Maderazo uses the example of Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto's son. Several large papers took quotes about Islam directly from his profile. The problem was, it was a fake profile.

Yes, social networking tools can spell danger for journalists. They can also be used as an advantage. Take this example of a journalist who reported on a live protest using only his phone and social networking tools like Twitter.

I, personally, have never used social networking sites as a means to reach people other than friends and family. I would consider using it to find sources only if I was in a major bind. I may be wrong. Who knows?

No comments: